A number of our tools require some level of server level access to your web server. This can be achieved via FTP, SFTP, or SSH protocols. These protocols allow for data to be transferred between two different machines. The preferred protocol will always be SFTP or SSH but more often than not either the host does not offer it, its offered for a fee, or the website is unfamiliar with how to create these access points.
That's ok, because we've compiled this quick tutorial on the creation of an FTP account specifically for MediaTemple users.
A File Transfer Protocol (FTP) account will allow us to access your website's files. The FTP credentials we need to connect to your site are:
- FTP server (host)
- Port (default is 21)
Log Into Your MediaTemple Account
- Log into your MediaTemple Administrative Panel
- Login using your domain and email address.
- Select your domain under Services.
- Click View Your Guide under the Server Guide option.
- Note the Access Domain listed, this is your FTP Server.
- Click Back to Control Panel and select Add/Edit Email & FTP Users under the Email section.
- Click the Add New button.
- Under Add Email User, type an Email address / Username, a Short Description, and a Password.
- Scroll down and check the box to Enable FTP Access.
- For the Sub-FTP home directory, select /domains/ and then click Save.
- MediaTemple automatically creates a subdirectory for new FTP users. This option must be changed, or we won’t be able to access your site.
- Provide us with the Access Domain as your FTP server, as well as the Username and Password you chose for the new account.